Wednesday, March 9, 2011

40 Bags in 40 Days

Today I decided to take an idea I first found on a friend's facebook posting and blog about it.  This is my first blog ever so I sincerely apologize if it's horrible.  Anyways, the idea is based on the 40 days of Lent, and how as Christians we are asked to "give up something" for those 40 days. 
Here's the link: http://www.faithandfamilylive.com/blog/40_bags_in_40_days/

The idea here is to give up "stuff" by way of filling up 40 bags in 40 days.  "Stuff" isn't just trash, but things we have laying around that we don't use or don't need.  It's the clothes in your closet that you haven't worn in 3 years but can't say good bye to.  It's books you've read but are in your bookcase collecting dust.  It's your kids toys that have taken over your whole house.  It's the bottles of wine or Jack Daniels that you've drank and saved just b/c they look cool.  It's the nice china you have displayed that's taking up half of your dining room.  It's the numerous candles you have laying around that you never light.  It's the baskets full of lotions, perfumes, make-up that you don't use.  It's the papers/magazines you have piled yeah high.  It's the storage room that you keep putting things into but never taking anything out of.  The list goes on and on and on. 

This idea came to me at such a prime time in my life, as I have two little boys, a dog, and a townhome in which I can't seem to fit anything.  I am a stay-at-home mom, and every day I get stressed about the "mess" in my house.  I began to realize that it's not just the kids mess, but also the way we clutter our lives with frivilous things.  So, I'm taking the challenge, on Ash Wednesday as it is, to complete 40 bags in 40 days.  My hope is that this exercise will help me see things more clearly in my personal life as well, and get the clutter out of not only my house, but also my heart.  I will be blogging almost every day about what I filled my bag with each day and how easy or difficult it was to do.  I may take pictures from time to time too.  I figure even if no one reads this, it atleast keeps me going. 

I'm really excited about this, and I hope that some of you decide to take the challenge as well.  Read my blogs to help you along the way and offer your own advice and bag stories. We can get rid of the "stuff" that's been ruling our lives!  My Day 1 starts tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jamie!
    I am really excited to read your blog- I feel like I can totally relate with the clutter. And the busy mom thing. I can't wait to follow along your journey and hopeful start my own!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete